The Fresno Music Club was established in 1905 by a group of women who saw the need for classical music concerts in Fresno long before colleges, symphonies, or other cultural arts existed here. These women, all musicians, formed a volunteer group that from 1908 through 1980 sponsored and presented a series of concerts through two world wars, the influenza epidemic and the depression. The management of these sold-out concerts was completely handled by members who volunteered to book artists, engage venues, handle ticket sales and coordinate travel schedules. Through their efforts, folks in Fresno and surrounding communities were able to hear the music of world-class performers, such as Jascha Heifetz, Beverly Sills, Artur Rubenstein, and many other stellar performances. The Fresno Music Club was also strongly involved in a fundraising project in 1962 to enhance the Convention Center Theater with the artwork seen in the Saroyan Theater today.